The Dairy-Free Avocado Ice Cream You Need To Try
Like everyone else, we’re obsessed with all things avocado, so when this recipe, from dessert queen Fany Gerson’s Mexican Ice Cream, landed at our office, we knew we had to share. It’s creamy, despite being totally dairy-free, and the avocados provide a hefty dose of heart-healthy fats to keep your skin plump and your belly full.
The Mexican state of Michoacán grows amazing avocados—many are exported to the United States—so it’s no surprise that it’s where I found inspiration for this recipe. This particular combination of avocado and passionfruit was one I tried in the form of a paleta (a Mexican ice pop) in Morelia, the capital of Michoacán. The acidity of passionfruit cuts through the richness of avocado, while still complementing its flavor in a very unexpected way. Avocados are so luscious and velvety that you can make a perfectly creamy sorbet, like this one, without adding any emulsifiers.
Makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen passionfruit puree*
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar (you can sub coconut sugar)
- 2 small ripe avocados
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- In a small saucepan, combine the passionfruit puree and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pits and scoop the flesh into a blender or food processor. Add the cooled passionfruit mixture and the salt and process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender jar or bowl as needed. Add the lime juice and process just until combined. Pour the mixture into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- Freeze and churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. For a soft consistency, serve the sorbet right away; for a firmer consistency, transfer it to a container, cover, and allow to harden in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours.
*Note: Look for frozen passionfruit puree in Latin American markets and specialty grocery stores.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.