Vegan Baking Basics: How To Make The Perfect Apple Pie
Fall is the perfect time to break out the warming spices and get baking. Apple pie is a true classic, but making a pastry crust (especially a vegan pastry crust) can seem a little intimidating—until now.
Armed with the recipe below, Earth Balance® Original Buttery Spread, and the cooking video above, you get the perfect step-by-step instructions and tips to make you a vegan baking pro. With its spiced flavor and crispy crust, you can serve up this traditional lattice-top apple pie to vegans and omnivores alike for maximum enjoyment.
Vegan Apple Pie With Lattice Crust
For the crust:
For the filling:
- 5 to 6 medium red apples, sliced thin
- ¼ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon powdered cardamom
- ½ teaspoon powdered nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon powdered cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. For the crust: Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together. Next, add Earth Balance® Original Buttery Spread along with 6 tablespoons of water. Mix until the mixture becomes doughy. Break dough into two even spheres. One will be used for the base of your crust, and the others will be used for the lattice top.
3. Roll each of the dough spheres flat. Take the first, and shape it into a 12-inch circle. Place the flattened dough into a lightly greased pie pan. Take a fork and crimp the edges of the crust. Then, lightly poke the sides and bottom of the dough with a fork. Put in refrigerator.
4. Take second piece of flattened dough and slice ten 12-by-¾-inch rectangular strips. Place on a baking sheet and put in refrigerator.
5. For the filling: Take apples and slice them into thin pieces.
6. Once apples are ready, mix all the ingredients for the filling. Let mixture sit for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the apples become soft.
7. Remove the refrigerated pie crust. Pour the filling into the pie pan, making sure the filling is evenly spread.
8. To form the lattice top, place half the strips across the pie with ½ inch in between each. Next, fold back every other strip. Place one strip perpendicular to the other parallel strips. Unfold the parallel strips back over the perpendicular strip. Now take the parallel strips running underneath the perpendicular strip and fold them back over the perpendicular strip. Lay down a second perpendicular strip of dough next to the first strip, with some space between the strips. Unfold the folded parallel strips over the second strip. Continue until top is formed.
9. Once top is formed, take a fork and pinch the overhanging dough at the edge of the plate.
10. Melt 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance® Original Buttery Spread and brush it over the top of the lattice pieces. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top.
11. Place in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
12. Reduce temperature to 350°F and cook for another 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and you can see the filling bubbling slightly through the lattice top.
13. Remove and cool.