A Turmeric + Garlic Naan Recipe That's (Surprise!) Gluten-Free
Amy Shah, MD, an Ivy League–trained, double-board-certified physician, masterfully integrates mainstream medicine with Eastern thought and a mind-body approach. In this piece, Dr. Shah shares one of her favorite recipes for healthy meals during a busy week. To learn more, check out her mindbodygreen course: The 7-Day Gut Reset: How to Get Your Digestion Back on Track in Just One Week.
As a doctor and busy mom of two, I'm always trying to find incredibly easy, healthy solutions for dinner. But Pinterest dinners always seem overwhelming and complicated—or they end up tasting nothing like the beautiful picture suggests. I need something that's nutritious but dummy-proof.
Enter grainless garlic naan.
This recipe is super simple, literally mouthwatering, and has a secret healthy ingredient: tapioca. I've been exploring tapioca flour as a binding ingredient for all kinds of healthy gluten-free breads and baking after seeing it mentioned on a cooking blog a few months ago. Tapioca flour is made from a sweet-potato-like vegetable and can be used as binding for gluten-free, Paleo, or vegan foods.
Plus, the garlic, chili powder, and turmeric in this recipe add antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties to your meal. It's a hit with my kids, who love pairing it with vegetable gravy. And best of all, it takes less than 15 minutes to make, beginning to end.
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup canned full-fat organic coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon organic coconut oil
1. Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix well until it becomes like a pancake mix.
2. Add 4 tablespoons of batter to the pan and make into a pancake-like circle.
2. Cook the batter in the pan, adding a little coconut oil to the edges.
3. Once you see the edges browning, flip and cook the other side.
4. Serve immediately! Enjoy with vegetables or soup of your choice.
I share many more easy, healthy south Asian recipes on this healthy eating Facebook page.
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.