15-Minute Meal: Spicy Buckwheat Noodle Bowl
My perfect weeknight meal is packed with vegetables and whole foods, fills me up, and tastes delicious. 15-Minute Meals are all about feeding yourself well with minimal effort.
Quick, tasty, and comforting, this bowl is exactly what I want at the end of a long day. It's just the right combo of savory, spicy, and healthy.
I like to look out for 100 percent buckwheat noodles, as they have the most protein and are gluten-free, but there are plenty of different types of noodles you can play around with if you want to switch it up.
Spicy Soba Noodle Bowl
- 4 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled with julienne peeler or spiralized
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Ingredients for the sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
1. Boil water for noodles (I boil mine in an electric kettle first, as it takes less time). Pour boiling water in a medium pot over high heat. Add broccoli and a good pinch of salt to the pot and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until cooked through. Remove from pot with a slotted spoon (leaving the boiling water), and set aside.
2. Add noodles to the same pot of boiling water. Cook noodles according to package instructions. (They usually take 3 to 10 minutes.) Add thawed edamame to the boiling noodle pot in the last minute of cooking.
3. Meanwhile, whisk sauce ingredients together in a medium-to-large bowl. Prepare carrots with julienne peeler.
4. When noodles and edamame are done, drain and toss them in the bowl with sauce. Add broccoli, carrots, and scallions, and toss until everything is well-coated in sauce. Portion into two bowls and top with sesame seeds.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.