Genius Gluten-Free Breakfast Idea: Sweet Potato "Toast"
From the editor: Swapping roasted sweet potato slices for toast is a brilliant breakfast hack to add more veggies to your morning.
As I’m writing this, I’m thinking of all the healthy brain power that’s in this dish. And it really doesn’t get much better than a combo of avocado, salmon, and egg yolks.
Did you know that the brain is comprised of 60 percent fat? And like most things in the body, what something is comprised of is also what it requires to stay healthy. So you need healthy fats for healthy brain development. Healthy fats are also the building block of hormones, so if you’re hormones are not at optimal levels, make sure you’re eating enough healthy fat.
Yep, I think I’ve just come to the conclusion that this is quite possibly the best brain breakfast imaginable. It’s also ridiculously satisfying.
Sweet Potato "Toast" with Avocado, Cucumber, Smoked Salmon, and Poached Egg
- 1 sweet potato
- 1-2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 4- to 6-oz. package smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- dill, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash and scrub the sweet potato. Slice the potato lengthwise, into even slices, using a mandoline.
2. Lightly oil both sides of the sweet potato slices, then place on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly toasted.
3. While the potato is baking, bring a pot of water to a simmer. Crack and poach the eggs for 3-4 minutes. Remove the eggs from the pot and place in a bowl of room temperature water (while the potato is still baking).
4. Once the potato has cooked, add to a plate and top with sliced avocado, cucumber, smoked salmon, and a poached egg.
Photo courtesy of the author
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.