Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.
Close Banner
Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.

5 Secrets To Aging Gracefully

Debra K
Author:
October 11, 2015
Debra K
Written by
Photo by Getty Images
October 11, 2015

At 47, I've felt the rumblings of aging unease over the past few years.

If I don’t exercise for a few days, there is an unexpected stiffness in my joints. In certain light, I have noticed that those lines on my face that I used to consider cute now seem etched in stone. And what I eat now affects everything from my sleep and energy to unexpected trips to the bathroom and nasal congestion. What the heck is going on?

Aging is inevitable, and in our Western culture it's treated like something to fight. We prepare for the worst by putting on our battle armor and try to give it hell until our last Botoxed, overmedicated breath is expelled from our surgically enhanced body.

But what if it were possible to accept the aging process and travel more peacefully through our years? I decided to investigate how another culture and science, Ayurveda, deals with aging.

The word Ayurveda literally means "the knowledge of life." Developed thousands of years ago, Ayurveda focuses not only on the number of years we live but also on our ability to reach our full potential regardless of where we are in our lives.

There are three Ayurvedic types, or constitutions, to which we may identify: vata, pitta, and kapha. Known as doshas, they are responsible for the entirety of our being:

• Vata is known as the force of movement. According to experts from the Art of Living Retreat Center, a vata living to her full potential means getting along with others and feeling grounded, happy, loving, and caring while spending time following the arts.
  • Those with a stronger Pitta, which is my dosha, experience a hotter disposition than vata, resulting in a dynamic personality that often possesses leadership qualities and a fiery temper.
  • Cool, calm, and collected people may identify more with a Kapha constitution. According to the Science of Ayurveda, kaphas are the happiest of all types because they are cheerful most of the time.

After figuring out your dosha, there are simple ways to balance it for smoother aging. “A person with constant worries gets old very fast, and the person who is joyful is more young and dynamic,” says Lokesh Raturi, an Ayurveda health practitioner at the Art of Living Retreat Center in Boone, N.C.

Here are some other great ways to balance the doshas for smoother aging:

1. Meditate.

Meditation gives deep rest to both the body and mind. It helps you relax, which reduces the anxiety and tension often associated with early aging.

2. Use oil massages.

Abhyanga is the practice of self-oil massage, which should be done daily. In Ayurveda, oil massage and steam are two of the best ways to balance vata. Oil massage and steam work together to warm, moisturize, and ground the body.

3. Practice pranayama.

This is the regulation of the breath through certain techniques and exercises. Pranayama leads the mind to naturally become more peaceful and calm, countering tendencies toward sharpness or restlessness.

4. Eat fresh and seasonal.

From a food perspective, the most important principle in the Ayurvedic diet is that your food is fresh — with little processing, pesticides, and additives or other chemicals — and is aligned with your personal constitution. It's even better when it's seasonal and, as often as possible, local.

5. Stay active.

Physical activity is an important part of staying youthful. “Activities that can be done alone — such as nature walks — help to establish comfort in self, which is the purpose of the science of Ayurveda,” Raturi suggests.

Volunteer service and random acts of kindness, dancing, exercise, and being with people who uplift you also help with aging gracefully.

Watch Next

Enjoy some of our favorite clips from classes

Watch Next

Enjoy some of our favorite clips from classes

What Is Meditation?

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Light Watkins

Box Breathing

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Gwen Dittmar

What Breathwork Can Address

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Gwen Dittmar

The 8 Limbs of Yoga - What is Asana?

Yoga | Caley Alyssa

Two Standing Postures to Open Up Tight Hips

Yoga | Caley Alyssa

How Plants Can Optimize Athletic Performance

Nutrition | Rich Roll

What to Eat Before a Workout

Nutrition | Rich Roll

How Ayurveda Helps Us Navigate Modern Life

Nutrition | Sahara Rose

Messages About Love & Relationships

Love & Relationships | Esther Perel

Love Languages

Love & Relationships | Esther Perel

Related Videos (10)

What Is Meditation?

Box Breathing

What Breathwork Can Address

The 8 Limbs of Yoga - What is Asana?

Two Standing Postures to Open Up Tight Hips

How Plants Can Optimize Athletic Performance

What to Eat Before a Workout

How Ayurveda Helps Us Navigate Modern Life

Messages About Love & Relationships

Love Languages

Advertisement

More On This Topic

more Mindfulness
Advertisement
Advertisement