Unbelievably Vegan Vanilla Bean Chocolate Chip Cookies
This may be a new fave chocolate chip cookie recipe for you — it is for us! The flavor of the vanilla bean powder is really beautiful. Though somewhat expensive, a little vanilla bean powder goes a long way!
Vanilla Bean Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 17–20 cookies
- 1/2 cup coconut butter (see note)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2–3/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder or 1–11/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 rounded teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup nondairy chocolate chips (mini or regular)
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the coconut butter and maple syrup.
- Mix, slowly to start, then at a higher speed until smoothed out. Add the oat flour, coconut sugar, vanilla bean powder, and sea salt to the coconut butter mixture, and sift in the baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix at slow speed (so the dry ingredients don’t poof!), and then bring up to medium speed and mix until everything just comes together. Add the chocolate chips and mix to just incorporate.
- The mixture should be a little sticky, not dry, but not too wet either. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula, then transfer to the fridge to chill for 1/2 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 1–1 1/2-tablespoon scoops of the batter on the prepared baking sheet. Slightly flatten each cookie with a spatula or your hand.
- Bake for 11 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool for 2–3 minutes on the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Note: It can be tricky to measure coconut butter when it's very hard. Use a butter knife to work out small chunks/slivers when hard. It’s better to measure in small pieces than in larger chunks, so the actual measure is more accurate.
Idea: Use this batter to make cookie dough ice cream! Save a little batter when making the cookies, maybe 1/3 cup. Roll into tiny balls and mix through a pint of softened vanilla or chocolate nondairy ice cream!
Want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.