Power Up Your Day With A Dragonfruit Breakfast Bowl
Pitaya, with its vibrant fuschia color and superstar lineup of antioxidants, fiber, magnesium, and B vitamins, makes an amazing blended base for a breakfast bowl as nourishing as it is beautiful.
Discovered in Central and Southern America and brought to Southeast Asia (where it became known as dragonfruit), this exotic cactus fruit has a mild, delicate flavor with pear-like notes, providing the perfect base to add in other flavors and superfoods. Try this tropical combo with vitamin C-laden pineapple and coconut milk rich in healthy fatty acids, or experiment by adding other fruits and vegetables!
Pitaya Breakfast Bowl
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 pitaya (dragonfruit) frozen packet
- 1/3 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/3 cup of canned coconut milk (chilled in fridge for 20 minutes)
- 3 Medjool dates
- 1 cup of ice (more to make it thicker)
1. Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and the fruit and ice chunks are gone. Definitely feel free to swap out any of the ingredients in the recipe above for other fruits and veggies, but be sure to include ice or a frozen banana to ensure that your base is thick and delicious.
2. Once you’ve created your smoothie base, pour it into a bowl (if your base is extra thick, you may need to ease it out of the blender with a spatula). Once your smoothie is in your bowl of choice, load it up with your favorite toppings like fresh fruit, cacao nibs, seeds, nuts, coconut flakes, dried fruit, or bee pollen. Once your smoothie has toppings, dig in and power up!
Photo courtesy of Quinn Forrer
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.