4 Lame Excuses For Not Running + How To Stop Making Them

4 Lame Excuses For Not Running + How To Stop Making Them Hero Image

Getting up the motivation, time and courage to start running can seem daunting and there will always be reasons not to run. But while it's easy to come up with excuses not to do something, a better mindset is to think about ways around these excuses and toward your goal, no matter what you think is standing in your way.

Here are four common excuses we've all used to put off a run and how to get past them.

1. "I don't have the time."

One of the most common excuses to not run is thinking you don't have enough time. Life does get busy: you have work, home and everything in between to contend with. But running doesn't need to be an all-day affair. In fact, if you take 30 minutes out of your day and go for a run (or a walk if you're just starting out), it's not that much time.

Even though it may seem difficult at first, creating a daily habit can be a long-lasting answer to feeling as if you don't have enough time for a run. Once you start to work that time into your schedule, it becomes easier and easier to fit running — or exercise in general — into your life. On days when you truly don't have time for a run, you'll find your day doesn't feel normal without that regular jog.

ADVERTISEMENT

2. "I'm not in shape."

If you haven't exercised recently (or ever), don't pressure yourself into a five mile run on your first day. There's nothing worst for you than overtaxing muscles that you haven't been using.

Start with baby steps. Once you've conquered 20-30 minutes of walking without feeling like you're over exerting yourself, move onto jogging, then brisk jogging, etc. Keep in mind that running shouldn't be a short term solution, but something you build into your lifestyle.

3. "I don't have the proper gear. It's too expensive."

You don't need the latest in running technology to start running. Those $200 shoes are cool and they're great for running, but the same brand also had great running shoes last year (and they're probably on sale right now). It's true that proper gear can prevent injury and it certainly pays to invest a little in the right shoes, but your gear doesn't have to be trendy or cute, it just needs to be functional.

Plus, think of the money you'll save on gym memberships and boutique fitness classes by taking to the great outdoors for your runs! Spend that money on the right kind of gear for you.

4. "I don't have any motivation."

The nice thing about running is that it's benefits are so myriad that there are ways to motivate yourself that don't even include thinking about how physically healthy it is. We're all aware that running and exercise in general is healthy, but it also makes your brain function better and can fight depression. Your daily jog can also double as a meditation practice, killing two wellness birds with one stones. Run for charity, run to familiarize yourself with a new neighborhood, run to meet people — there are plenty of motivators to keep running and stick to an exercise regimen.

Happy running!

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Explore More