Avocado BLT With Maple Tempeh Bacon (It's Vegan!)
Consider this sandwich an elevated classic. Creamy avocado, smoky maple tempeh bacon, and tangy tomato combine to take the original BLT to a whole new level. This revamped version boasts more flavor with less guilt, and is sure to satisfy your cravings without blowing your health goals.
- 2 slices of your favorite multigrain bread (I used the sesame Ezekiel brand)
- 3 slices of maple tempeh bacon (I used Lightlife Fakin’ Bacon)
- ¼ a ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced thinly
- ½ tablespoon vegan mayo spread
- 3 slices of a ripe tomato
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Sprouts, pea shoots, chia seeds, hemp hearts, and your favorite fresh chopped herbs, to serve
1. In a skillet, heat ¼ teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil over medium heat. Add the tempeh bacon strips, and cook on each side until golden brown and slightly crispy. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
2. Toast your bread until golden brown. Spread a bit of the vegan mayo on one side of each slice of bread.
3. Layer the tempeh bacon, avocado, tomato, and whatever other toppings you choose onto one slice, season with a bit of salt and pepper, and top with your remaining slice of bread.
Slice diagonally and enjoy!