London Celebs Flock To This Trendy Cafe For These Vegan, Gluten-Free Pancakes — And We Snagged The Recipe
Heiress Camilla Fayed became synonymous with healthy fare when she opened Farmacy, one of London’s trendiest vegan cafes. In her first cookbook, Farmacy Kitchen, she shares some of the secrets that keep celebs like Liv Tyler coming back—including her famous super-fluffy, dairy-free pancakes.
“Everyone loves pancakes, and this recipe offers a healthy, gluten-free version of the family favorite,” Fayed says. “The buckwheat is a nourishing and energizing alternative to the flour traditionally used to make pancakes. Buckwheat is nonallergenic and contains high levels of rutin, which helps combat high blood pressure, and there are plenty of easily digestible proteins here, too.”
They’re sweetened and bound with just a touch of applesauce and come together with just one easy step—a quick whizz in the blender—making them the perfect carefree weekend breakfast.
Fluffy Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Pancakes
- ½ cup gluten-free oat flour (or whizz rolled oats in a blender to make flour)
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup dairy-free milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To serve: sliced bananas, fresh berries, chia jam, coconut yogurt, maple syrup
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and, when hot, pour ⅔ cup of pancake batter into the center of the pan. Spread it into a circle with the back of a spoon, keeping it reasonably thick. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slide a spatula underneath the pancake, flip it over, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes before removing it from the pan. Put the pancake on a warm plate and cover with a dish cloth. Repeat until you have used up all the batter.
- Serve with banana slices, berries, jam, coconut yogurt, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Based on excerpts from Farmacy Kitchen by Camilla Fayed, with the permission of Aster. Copyright © 2018.
And do you want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.