This Vegan Chili Has A Secret Energy-Boosting Ingredient
A consistent sleep routine is critical for many aspects of our health including maintaining a balanced weight and improved mental clarity. Unfortunately most of us are not getting quality sleep; in fact, eight in 10 adults globally want to improve their sleep quality, according to a new survey. While many factors contribute to sleep disruption, our diet can play a significant role.
Ariane Resnick, CNC, certified nutritionist, private chef, and author of the new cookbook Wake/Sleep, has seen firsthand the incredible impact nutrition can have on your sleep cycles and decided to develop recipes that support the body's natural sleep cycle.
Her vegan chili recipe is the perfect pick-me-up as it features energizing ingredients like cocoa powder, which helps boost energy and mood and relieve stress, and chili powder, which can speed the metabolism and improve heart health. Whereas with traditional chili you may be left feeling full and sluggish, this soup's high-fiber and high-protein ingredients will support your digestion, so you're ready to go.
Chocolate Stout Chili
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil, such as avocado or grapeseed
- ½ cup (65 g) diced onion
- ½ cup (75 g) diced bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup (177 g) cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup (171 g) cooked pinto beans
- 1 cup (240 ml) chocolate stout beer
- 1 cup (240 ml) jarred tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons diced jalapeños or serranos (quantity to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder, optional
- In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the bell pepper and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until the chili has darkened.
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.