This Roasted Halloumi & Citrus Summer Salad Is A Must
Every summer spread needs a refreshing, flavor-packed salad added to the mix. This roasted halloumi and citrus salad from the new cookbook Saffron in the Souks by John Gregory-Smith features the savory taste of creamy pan-fried halloumi and the citrusy zing of grapefruit and orange. It's garnished with the rich, nutty flavor of pistachios and spiced with sumac and Aleppo pepper flakes.
Inspired by Lebanese cuisine and Gregory-Smith's travels throughout the country, you'll be transported to the streets of Lebanon while immersed in the aromatic flavors. This salad is best enjoyed while sitting outside in the sunshine.
Whole Roasted Halloumi & Citrus Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 9-ounce block of halloumi
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 2¼ ounces mixed arugula and baby spinach
- 2 handfuls of fresh oregano leaves
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pistachio kernels, bashed into a rubble
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat the oil in a small nonstick ovenproof frying pan. Add the block of halloumi and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until golden on one side, and then cook the four smaller sides for 30 to 40 seconds each until golden. Flip the block of halloumi onto its uncooked side, then place the pan in the oven and roast for 18 to 20 minutes until the halloumi is really soft and gooey. The top will sink a little, and when you poke the cheese in the middle, it should feel really soft.
- Meanwhile, segment the fruits over a bowl to catch all the juices. Add a little salt to the juices and whisk them together. Put the segmented pieces of fruit into the bowl with the juices, and add the salad greens and half the oregano.
- Toss together and arrange onto a serving plate. Place the gloriously golden block of cheese in the middle, and garnish with the pistachios, sumac, Aleppo pepper flakes, and remaining oregano. Serve immediately.
And do you want to turn your passion for wellbeing into a fulfilling career? Become a Certified Health Coach! Learn more here.