The Perfect Protein-Packed Make-Ahead Breakfast
If you're looking for a simple, portable and protein-packed breakfast, frittata muffins are the go. These are filled with feel-good vegetables like spinach and mushrooms and they're lined with prosciutto for an extra hit of savory.
Make a batch on Sunday and wake up happy all week long.
Prosciutto-Wrapped Frittata Muffins
Serves 4 – 6
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or other good-quality fat, plus extra for greasing
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 large handful of baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 free-range organic eggs
- 3 tablespoons nut milk or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 12 slices prosciutto
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- Simple garden salad, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (175 C). Grease a 12-hole muffin tin with a little coconut oil.
2. Melt the coconut oil or fat in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and capsicum and sauté for a further 3 minutes, or until tender. Add the parsley and spinach and cook until the spinach is just wilted. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the cooked vegetables to a colander to drain off the excess liquid.
3. Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk with the nut or coconut milk and coconut flour. Season with salt and pepper, add the cooked vegetables and mix until well combined.
4. Line each muffin hole with 1 slice of prosciutto, covering the base and sides completely. Spoon in the frittata mixture until level with the rim of the tin. Top each muffin with 2 slices of cherry tomato.
5. Place the muffin tin in the oven and bake for 15–20 minutes, or until the muffins have risen and a metal skewer inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean and dry. Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool in the tin for 2 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve hot with a garden salad, or chill and use for school lunches. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days.
Pete is the only person who cares and talks this much about food. Which sees him right at home in his career as both an internationally renowned and household name chef.
A love of food saw Pete begin his career as chef and restaurateur at the age of 19, opening numerous award-winning restaurants nationally as well as cooking in some of the finest restaurants globally.
Pete has not only cooked for the general public, but he’s also cooked a royal banquet for the Prince and Princess of Denmark, a private dinner for Martha Stewart, and even represented his hometown at the gala G’Day USA dinner for 600 in NYC.
Pete’s career has moved from the kitchen into the lounge room with many TV appearances including Lifestyle Channel’s Home show, Postcards from Home, FISH, My Kitchen Rules, Moveable Feast, and his latest The Paleo Way... stay tuned for Food is Medicine which is in pre-production now!
It’s safe to say he knows his stuff, with over 10 bestselling cookbooks inspiring individuals and families in their kitchens around the world.
Pete’s also a simple guy. He loves his family, the ocean, surfing, and maintaining his own healthy lifestyle. When he changed his life to The Paleo Way of living, an abundance of mental, physical, and emotional changes followed. This paved the way for Pete’s belief that food can be medicine, and that it should be our first port of call for a healthier life.
They say the proof is in the pudding, and if hearing Pete speak about The Paleo Way isn’t enough to get you excited, almost nothing will. As a certified health coach with qualifications from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, Pete wants to change the lives of everyone around him, including you.
To keep up to date with Pete’s adventures, recipes and information, follow him via his Facebook page or Instagram.
Join all our amazing Tribe members for the culinary adventure of a lifetime and reclaim your health, one delicious mouthful at a time. No outdated calorie counting or crazy exercise regimes.. just plain common sense delivered in a way that awakens your spirit, mind and body. join www.thepaleoway.com for our 10 week program that you can start at any time.