- 2 ripe avocados
- 5 medjool dates, pitted + soaked
- 1/2 cup raw cocao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- tiny pinch of salt
- cinnamon for topping, optional
- fresh berries for topping, optional
1. Scoop out the inside of the avocados and add to a blender*. Next add dates, raw cocao, vanilla and salt. Open the can of coconut milk, being careful not to shake it. The cream will have risen to the top, leaving a thinner liquid at the bottom. Add 1/4 cup cream to the blender, saving the remaining cream in a small bowl. Begin to blend the mousse, stopping often to push down the ingredients and stir. If it's too thick add liquid coconut milk a few tablespoons at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
2. Hand whip remaining coconut cream until it has a soft "whipped cream" texture.
3. Portion mousse into 4 custard cups and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Top with a dollop of coconut whipped cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon and fresh berries.
*Note: if you don't have a good blender, you can also use a food processor for this recipe.
Heather Braaten is a Plant-Passionate Foodie and Healthy Eating Educator. At the core of her practice is a deep desire to help her clients Fall in Love with Food by experiencing the delicious power of a healthy diet. She hosts Seasonal Clean Eating Detox Programs, designed to get the busy person back on track with easy to follow meals, shopping list, program guides and comprehensive support for natural detoxification. Grab your free copy of her ebook: 10 Habits for a Big, Bold, Happy, Sexy Life!