This Super-Affordable Vegan Soup Is All You Need This Time Of Year
This is a soup that I probably have made more than any other dish on this planet! It's a stretch-your-dollar, throw-a few-ingredients-into-a-pot-and-be-done, and surf-a-little-longer kind of soup. All you need for this soup is cabbage, an onion, a couple of carrots, and a potato or two! So simple yet so good!
Save Your Dollars Soup
Makes 6 servings
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 to 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small head green cabbage, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and potatoes and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the vegetable broth, raise the heat to medium-high, and add the cabbage. Make sure the cabbage is submerged under the liquid, bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until all the vegetables are softened.
- Add the pepper, season with salt, and enjoy.
Reset Your Gut
Sign up for our FREE doctor-approved gut health guide featuring shopping lists, recipes, and tips
Health and wellness influencer Andrea Hanneman, aka Earthy Andy, is creator of the popular Earthy Andy blog and Instagram account. After years of battling IBS, Celiac disease, hypothyroidism, asthma, brain fog, and chronic fatigue, she now manages her chronic health issues by embracing a plant-based diet. Surfer, free spirit, and mother of three, she lives in Oahu, Hawaii with her family.