This Genius Winter Vegetable One-Pan Dinner Is Packed With Protein (No Dirty Pots & Pans Necessary!)
If you’re the type of person who often resorts to ordering takeout after a busy day, you’ll love sheet-pan dinners. They’re made using just one sheet pan—no pots or pans required—and as such save tons of time during both the prep and cleanup stages (no more sweating over a hot stove!). This recipe, from the new book Dinner’s in the Oven, requires only 10 minutes of prep time and is bursting with vibrant color and fresh flavors. It’s the perfect way to utilize the sweet end-of-season winter vegetables with a burst of zesty spring greens.
Honey Roasted Carrots & Parsnips With Quinoa & Arugula
This smoky, caramelized all-in-one quinoa salad—if you are a fan of quinoa or salad—is perfect for dinner and then a lunchbox the following day.
Serves 4 to 6
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch (1-cm) wedges
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into ½-inch (1-cm) wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 large sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⅓ cups (240 g) quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 3 cups (720 mL) boiling water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 ounces (60 g) arugula, washed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Put the carrots, parsnips, garlic, rosemary, bay leaves, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper into a roasting pan, give it all a good mix with your hands, then transfer to the oven and roast for 40 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and water, stirring, scraping the bottom of the roasting pan. Cover with foil, then return the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, fluff up the quinoa with a fork, and leave to steam dry for 5 minutes. Drizzle over the extra-virgin olive oil, taste, and season with sea salt and lemon juice as needed, then stir through the arugula. Serve hot or cold.
Based on excerpts from Dinner’s in the Oven by Rukmini Iyer, with the permission of Chronicle Books. Copyright © 2018.
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.