Don't Sleep On This Gut-Healing Ingredient That Takes Oatmeal From Blah To Gourmet
If you’re a fan of savory breakfasts, miso will be your new best friend. Chefs rely on the fermented soybean paste to add a note of funky umami depth to dishes. And because it’s fermented, it’s also a great way to pack in probiotics during the first meal of the day.
“I often rely on oatmeal for a quick breakfast, and adding miso and scallions is a simple way to switch up my routine when I am in the mood for savory, umami flavors in the morning,” explains Jodi Moreno, who developed this oatmeal recipe for her new cookbook, More With Less, which is dedicated to simplifying the practice of eating well. “You could also add other toppings, such as walnuts, chopped spinach, or even a poached egg.”
Miso Oats with Scallions & Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee or neutral oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon red miso
- 3 cups + 1 tablespoon water
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, minced
- Drizzle of toasted sesame oil
- 2 pinches of sesame seeds
- Handful of microgreens or sprouts (optional)
- Heat the ghee in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the oats and toast for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, dilute the miso with 1 tablespoon of the water.
- Stir the miso in with the oats, then add the 3 cups water (be careful, it may splatter) and stir.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced to a desired porridge/oatmeal consistency. Remove from the heat and divide between 2 bowls. Add the scallions, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and microgreens or sprouts, if using, or any other topping you like.
Based on excerpts from More With Less by Jodi Moreno, with the permission of Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc. Copyright © 2018.
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.