This Easy Dinner For 2 Has A Secret Gut-Healing Ingredient
Lindsay Maitland Hunt’s Healthyish cookbook is packed with the type of simple-but-genius recipes that become weeknight staples, and this gut-healing farro is no exception. The secret is in the kimchi, a fermented chili cabbage mixture that’s a staple in Korean cuisine. While some of the kimchi goes into the hot dish to permeate the grains with flavor, the rest is heaped on top, providing billions of probiotics to put your belly into a state of healthy balance. The farro, an ancient whole grain, adds food for those probiotics, helping nourish them into absolutely thriving (if you’d prefer the recipe be gluten-free, though, sub quinoa or rice, as desired!).
"An ex-boyfriend of mine bought tickets to a Korean cooking class a couple of years ago. Huge win: We made kimchi–fried rice and it quickly became a go-to dinner," says Lindsay. "Here, I go heavy on the eggs (for protein) and toast up nutty farro for body. But any grain will work well, so if you’ve got something else on hand, use it!"
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1½ cups (300 g) cooked farro
- 1½ cups (225 g) chopped kimchi
- ½ cup (80 g) canned adzuki beans, rinsed
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for serving
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Beat the eggs with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the farro and cook until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir it only a few times so the farro toasts and crisps.
- Add 1 cup of the kimchi and the beans and cook, stirring often, until hot, about 2 minutes more. Turn the heat down to low and pour in the eggs. Immediately start stirring with a spatula and cook until the eggs are cooked but still soft, about 1 minute. Stir in the cilantro.
- Divide the farro between two bowls and top with the remaining ½ cup kimchi, the sliced avocado, and extra cilantro.
Based on excerpts from Healthyish by Lindsay Maitland Hunt, with the permission of Abrams. Copyright © 2017.
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.