If Macaroni & Cheese & Guacamole Had A Baby, It'd Be This Recipe
It’s no secret that guacamole and macaroni and cheese are two of the best foods on the planet, and this ingenious recipe, from the two British fellows behind BOSH!, Facebook’s biggest plant-based food video channel, and a new cookbook, combines the two to make a dish exponentially better than the sum of its parts. This dish is perfect for summer: “It’s great eaten hot or cold, served alongside a BBQ, as a lunchtime salad, or with a bit of green salad as a quick main course,” explain the authors. It’s also vegan, optionally gluten-free (depending on what pasta you use), and bursting with savory and spicy guac flavor from chilies, cilantro, garlic, and lime.
Serves 4 to 6
- 11 ounces uncooked macaroni noodles
- 3½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 ripe avocados
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ red onion
- 2 fresh red chilies
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- Add the macaroni and 2 teaspoons of the salt to a large saucepan of boiling water and cook until al dente, according to the package directions.
- Halve and carefully pit the avocados by tapping the pits firmly with the heel of a knife so that it lodges in the pit, then twist and remove the pits, then scoop the flesh into a mixing bowl. Halve the limes and squeeze the juice into the bowl, catching any seeds in your other hand. Add the olive oil, garlic powder, and the remaining salt to taste and mash the avocado using the back of a fork.
- Peel and mince the onion.
- Rip the stems from the chilies, cut them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds if you prefer a milder flavor.
- Finely chop the tomatoes, chilies, and cilantro and add to the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Drain the macaroni and tip into the bowl of guacamole, stirring to make sure the pasta is well-covered. Serve immediately as a side dish or light lunch, or box it up ready for tomorrow’s lunch.
Based on excerpts from BOSH! by Henry Firth & Ian Theasby, with the permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Copyright © 2018.