This Pink Ayurvedic Latte Might Be The Prettiest Way To Tame Inflammation
Maybe it's just us, but we'd take our roses in lattes over bouquets any day. This version is from Mafalda Pinto Leite's gorgeous Radiant: The Cookbook, and it features a number of ingredients to uplevel the recipe—starting with the aforementioned flowers.
"Widely used in ayurveda to calm and tame inflammation within the body and mind, roses are soothing antidotes to the physical stresses of everyday living," explains Leite. "Due to its cleansing properties, rose water and petals support the liver in its never-ending quest to facilitate detoxification and serve as a gentle diuretic, promoting healthy and regular elimination. It also acts as a blood purifier, helping to remove and neutralize toxins."
The latte uses a creamy coconut milk base to add healthy, blood-sugar-stabilizing fat, and a bit of beet juice for its pretty pink color. Top it with some edible rose petals and you have the perfect love-filled drink.
Rose Quartz Latte
Makes 2 cups
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh beetroot juice
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao butter melted or ghee
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or sweeter of choice
- ¼ teaspoon raw vanilla powder
- rose petals to serve, optional
- Beauty add-ins (optional): ½ teaspoon Schisandra and/or ¼ teaspoon pearl powder
- Gently warm the coconut milk and beet juice in a saucepan over low heat, without allowing to simmer.
- Carefully pour into a blender.
- Add the rose water, cacao butter, raw honey, and vanilla. Blend on high until warm and frothy. Pour into a mug and served sprinkled with rose petals if desired.
Based on excerpts from Radiant: The Cookbook by Mafalda Pinto Leite, with the permission of Roost Books. Copyright © 2019.
Liz Moody is an author, blogger and recipe developer living in Brooklyn, New York. She graduated with a creative writing and psychology degree from The University of California, Berkeley. Moody has written two cookbooks: Healthier Together: Recipes for Two—Nourish Your Body, Nourish Your Relationships and Glow Pops: Super-Easy Superfood Recipes to Help You Look and Feel Your Best. She also hosts the Healthier Together Podcast, where she chats with notable chefs, nutritionists, and best-selling authors about their paths to success. Her work has been featured in Vogue, Glamour, Food & Wine & Women’s Health.