Sip This Sweet Turmeric Elixir 30 Minutes Before You Eat To Massively Boost Digestion
Kate O’Donnell’s new book, Everyday Ayurveda Cooking for a Calm, Clear Mind: 100 Simple Sattvic Recipes, is filled with ancient ayurvedic wisdom, updated to make sense for everyday modern life, but this trick is one of our favorites. According to O’Donnell, in India,
“this digestive is used 30 minutes before a meal to improve your appetite or following a meal to reduce indigestion and bloating,” she says. “Be sure to make it fresh for the medicinal benefit.” The traditional use is backed up by Western medicine—turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory1, while ginger soothes the stomach, and yogurt is packed with probiotics that aid in processing your food. The fact that it tastes like a milkshake is only a bonus!
Ayurvedic Turmeric Lassi Recipe
- 1 cup water, room temperature
- ¼ cup organic whole-milk yogurt or dairy-free yogurt
- Dash of ground turmeric
- Double dash of ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Put the water in a 16-ounce glass jar, and add the yogurt and spices. Churn the mixture on high speed for 1 minute with an immersion hand blender, or in a high-speed blender, until it foams. The milk solids will gather on top and stick to the sides of the jar; they look like little bubbles. Skim off the solids with a spoon and discard. Repeat until there are no more fats to remove.
- Drink immediately.
Based on excerpts from Everyday Ayurveda Cooking for a Calm, Clear Mind by Kate O'Donnell with the permission of Shambhala Publications Inc. Copyright © 2018.
Liz Moody is an author, blogger and recipe developer living in Brooklyn, New York. She graduated with a creative writing and psychology degree from The University of California, Berkeley. Moody has written two cookbooks: Healthier Together: Recipes for Two—Nourish Your Body, Nourish Your Relationships and Glow Pops: Super-Easy Superfood Recipes to Help You Look and Feel Your Best. She also hosts the Healthier Together Podcast, where she chats with notable chefs, nutritionists, and best-selling authors about their paths to success. Her work has been featured in Vogue, Glamour, Food & Wine & Women’s Health.