Found: A Green Detox Soup That Will Actually Fill You Up
A soup that’s filled with over a day’s worth of vegetables is perfect for anyone looking for a reset—but a green detox soup that actually fills you up is a unicorn too good to pass up. In their new cookbook, Nutritious Delicious: Turbocharge Your Favorite Recipes With 50 Everyday Superfoods, the perfectionist geniuses at America’s Test Kitchen have decoded the secret to making healthy recipes super delicious. This soup combines onions, garlic, kale, Swiss chard, arugula, chard, mushrooms, and so much more. It’s thickened with a bit of Arborio rice (which will fill you up!) and topped with probiotic yogurt (dairy-free is fine!). Make it and marvel at how good you feel.
Green Soup Recipe
When considering uses for sturdy greens like kale and Swiss chard, a smooth pureed soup may not immediately come to mind. But we had high hopes for a silky-smooth soup that delivered a big dose of healthy greens packed with essential nutrients. First, we built a flavorful foundation of sweet caramelized onions and earthy sautéed mushrooms. We added broth, water, and lots of leafy greens (we liked a mix of chard, kale, arugula, and parsley, each with unique nutritional qualities) and simmered the greens until tender before blending them until smooth. We were happy with the soup's depth of flavor, but it was watery and too thin. Many pureed soups call for excessive amounts of cream to create a velvety consistency. Instead, we used Arborio rice: The rice's high-starch content thickened our soup perfectly and without dulling the bright flavors of the greens. And rather than adding dairy richness by the cupful, we drizzled each bowl with just a tablespoon or two of yogurt enlivened with lemon and tarragon.
- ½ cup organic plain yogurt (nondairy works great!)
- 2 tablespoons plus ½ teaspoon cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest plus ½ teaspoon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, halved through root end and sliced thin
- 3 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup Arborio rice
- 12 ounces Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped coarsely
- 9 ounces kale, stemmed and chopped coarsely
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 ounces (2 cups) baby arugula
- Combine yogurt, ½ teaspoon oil, tarragon, and lemon zest and juice in bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Stir in onion, sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion releases some moisture, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often and scraping up any browned bits, until onion is deeply browned and slightly sticky, about 30 minutes. (If onion is sizzling or scorching, reduce heat. If onion is not browning after 15 to 20 minutes, increase heat.)
- Stir in mushrooms and cook until they have released their moisture, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, broth, and rice, scraping up any browned bits, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chard, kale, and parsley, one handful at a time, until wilted and submerged in liquid. Return to simmer, cover, and cook until greens are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in arugula until wilted. Working in batches, process soup in blender until smooth, about one minute. Return pureed soup to clean pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle individual portions with lemon-tarragon yogurt, and serve.
Based on excerpts from Nutritious Delicious: Turbocharge Your Favorite Recipes With 50 Everyday Superfoods by America's Test Kitchen, with the permission of America's Test Kitchen. Copyright © 2017.
And do you want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.