5 Easy Steps To Set Up Healthy Boundaries

5 Easy Steps To Set Up Healthy Boundaries Hero Image

Setting healthy boundaries is pretty important if you want to have a happy and fulfilling life.

I’ve learned this the hard way during my recovery from my lifelong battle with bulimia. The key for me was to put recovery as my top priority. In order to do that, I had to define my own healthy boundaries and discover what was safe for me. Most importantly, I had to stick with it!

This was a pretty big challenge, since I'm a "yes" kind of person. I had to learn to turn inward to find my answers and say "no" to people I really love.

Is this egoist? Absolutely not!

You are the only one responsible for your wellbeing and happiness. If you don’t do it, no one will do it for you. So enjoy the process and trust that this is beneficial for you and everyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Here are 5 easy steps to set up healthy boundaries:

1. Acknowledge that putting yourself first is not egotistical.

By taking care of yourself and putting yourself first, you'll feel better, be healthier and happier. You'll have more energy to take care of others, and this will create a ripple effect on your family and people around you.

2.Put yourself first.

This may seem obvious, but you have to actuallyput yourself first after you acknowledge you can! Life is unpredictable, of course, and you'll always have to make compromises. But by putting your needs first when you have a choice, you'll avoid stress in the long run.

Once you understand that you have to fill your cup first to be able to give to others, everything will switch and become easier.

3.Set up your "non-negotiables" and respect them.

Make a complete list of your non-negotiables. For example, I know I need to practice yoga four times per week and move my body at least 20 minutes per day. I know I need at least 15 minutes of total relaxation per day. These are my non-negotiables. I know if I don’t respect them for too long, I'm not going to feel as good as I could, and I'm not going to perform at my best.

4.Ask yourself what you really want.

What would you love to do, to see, to experience?How will you feel afterward after you do these things?Will they make you happier? It sounds simple, but these questions will help you identify what you want to achieve.

5. Reflect on each week.

What hasn’t gone well, and what could you do to improve it? Forgive yourself and let it go. Finally, think about all the things that went well, and be grateful for them.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More