Vegan Recipe: Decadent Cheese Fries
If you’re following a vegan diet, I bet you figured your days of indulging in cheese fries were over. Wrong!
Not the traditional greasy, dairy-laden cheese fries, of course. But these vegan cheese fries are just as tasty, and do a lot less damage! These would be great at your child’s birthday party or a family game night.
- 1 jicama, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (if you are using sun-dried tomatoes already soaked in oil, you may not need this)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 4 drops lemon essential oil *
- pinch of himalayan sea salt
- Soak raisins in water for 10 minutes.
- To make the “fries," cut peeled jicama into french fry-shaped pieces.
- Add jicama fries to a large bowl and toss with nutritional yeast and cayenne pepper. Season with salt, to taste.
- To make the “meat," add almonds, chili powder, and paprika to a food processor. Add a drop of olive oil and process until smooth. Add raisins and sun-dried tomatoes and continue processing until chunky. You may have to add a little more olive oil to get correct texture. Once that's finished, set aside.
- To make the “cheese”, add bell pepper, cashews, chili powder, cumin powder, and lemon essential oil to food processor and process until completely smooth. Season with salt to taste.
- Assemble by placing “fries” on a plate, topping with the “meat” and finally the “cheese."
I use lemon essential oil instead of regular lemons because it's cold pressed from lemon rinds to preserve its delicate and potent properties. To find out more about lemon essential oil, click here.