3 Running Lessons From A Full-Time Yogi

Since I injured my shoulder diving in July, I have not been able to do as much yoga asana as I would like, or am used to. As a result, I have begun to run again, averaging 30 miles a week. Am I getting the same high I used to from it? Not quite, now that I know the yoga high. But given that running was my life force for 20 years, it isn't so bad either.

That said, I am noticing that the rules of the road are not that clear these days, making it less pleasant to saunter in your kicks... Here are some yoga tips to make your run better.

1. Breathe like you're in a yoga class.

Ujjai breath is not just for the mat. It's for the streets, the desk, and your run. Try running with ujjai breath through your nose, steady and strong inhale and exhales. It will enhance your lung capacity and thus endurance.

2. Take karma with you.

Be nice to people on the road! Make room for people to pass, let children and mothers squeeze by, and don’t hog the road. Will prime you for a better run going forward.

3. Make sure you recover.

Running is fun, but brutal for the bod. Three Sun Salutes, a forward bend, and an inversion can make help your body repair after you run, in less than minutes. Or you can try one of our at-home runners classes.

4. Tie your shoe laces!

Yoga is incredible for keeping your body & mind healthy. Ready to learn about how the power of food can also create a sound body & mind? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.

Lauren Imparato

Founder & CEO, I.AM.YOU.
Lauren Imparato — author of RETOX and one of the "100 Women in Wellness to Watch" and Elle’s "This is 30" — resigned her job as a vice president on the Wall Street trading floors in 2009 to launch I.AM.YOU, a wellness lifestyle company based on yoga, nourishment and music. In NYC and across the globe, she is renowned for her straight up, real approach to wellness and life. Imparato’s yoga classes are known for their attention to anatomy, sweat and tradition within the chaotic modern lives we lead, and are always paired with signature MusicMixes including genres like rock, salsa, jazz, hip hop and more. She has been featured in Vogue, The Wall Street Journal, Elle, New York Magazine, Harper's Bazaar, Marie Claire, Self, The Financial Times, Bloomberg News, CNN and countless others and writes for MindBodyGreen, PositiveMed and her own blog with a social media following of over 250,000. Imparato has led I.AM.YOU. classes for tens of thousands of people in Spain, Cannes Film Festival, Ibiza Opening Weekend and, most recently, all of Times Square and the great lawn of Central Park. She graduated from Princeton University.
View the class
Lauren Imparato

Related Posts

Sites We Love

Functional Nutrition Webinar

Learn How To Eat Right For Your Brain

Get Free Access Now Loading next article...

Your article and new folder have been saved!