Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.
Close Banner
Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.

3 Ways to Channel Your Inner Tomcat

Claire Obeid
Author:
July 31, 2012
Claire Obeid
By Claire Obeid
mbg Contributor
Claire Obeid is a Hatha Yoga Teacher, Holistic Health Coach and creator of The Wellness Project.
July 31, 2012

Recently, I went to a yoga class that I don’t normally attend, and I’m so glad I did. The teacher told a story about two cats. Stay with me here… this isn’t an homage to fluffy felines (although they are pretty sweet). It’s about how two cats taught me to stop trying so hard.

Picture this: A tomcat – big, fluffy, ginger – sitting curled up in that cat-like way. Just chilling. And in front of Mr Tomcat was a pretty little Burmese cat. She wasn’t chilling, in fact, quite the opposite. Parading herself in front of the tom cat was all Miss Burmese cared about. “Look at me, look at me,” she purred as her tail swished, meowing and wriggling about, trying to get Mr Tomcat’s attention. Do you think he noticed? Of course not. He was stoic, still and simply kept staring ahead. Unflappable.

After much effort Miss Burmese eventually figured it out. She paused. Stretched out and curled up next to Mr Tomcat in a little patch of sunshine. And only then did the tomcat respond to his new companion.

As the teacher told this story, I couldn’t stop smiling. I could see myself in that Burmese. How many times had I “paraded” myself around, trying to seek other’s approval, or my own? Often trying too hard to fill the hours, to be busy, to feel important and special. Working up a sweat, busting myself to achieve “something” when all along the real achievement was right in front of me. Just let go. Stop. Be still. Find a little peace and quiet, and just sit in the moment. Enjoy the patch of sunshine, just because…

There are so many moments in our life when effort is needed – we have to put ourselves out there, raw and unashamed, ready to grow, evolve and achieve. I’m a huge fan of “effort”… it’s my middle name, in fact. But lately, I’m starting to understand the profound power of letting go and trying less. And, I’ve noticed when I do try less that some things come to me with a lot more ease.

Mostly though, it’s those moments of pause and respite, soaking up the sun where we I re-fuel and keep on going.

After this class, I went home and wrote down three ways that would help me channel my inner tomcat.

1) Consciously do nothing when I have a long list of to-dos – snooze, read, stare out the window, lay in the sunshine.

2) Let someone else make the decisions for me. Stop trying to control the moment, and literally go with the flow.

3) Laugh at myself. Whenever I feel heavy with the weight of my own effort, make a point to be irreverent with it and laugh a little at the “seriousness” of it all.

Give it a shot, be like the tomcat – chill out a little, and enjoy your time in the sun.

image via LundLund.com

Watch Next

Enjoy some of our favorite clips from classes

Watch Next

Enjoy some of our favorite clips from classes

What Is Meditation?

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Light Watkins

Box Breathing

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Gwen Dittmar

What Breathwork Can Address

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Gwen Dittmar

The 8 Limbs of Yoga - What is Asana?

Yoga | Caley Alyssa

Two Standing Postures to Open Up Tight Hips

Yoga | Caley Alyssa

How Plants Can Optimize Athletic Performance

Nutrition | Rich Roll

What to Eat Before a Workout

Nutrition | Rich Roll

How Ayurveda Helps Us Navigate Modern Life

Nutrition | Sahara Rose

Messages About Love & Relationships

Love & Relationships | Esther Perel

Love Languages

Love & Relationships | Esther Perel

Related Videos (10)

What Is Meditation?

Box Breathing

What Breathwork Can Address

The 8 Limbs of Yoga - What is Asana?

Two Standing Postures to Open Up Tight Hips

How Plants Can Optimize Athletic Performance

What to Eat Before a Workout

How Ayurveda Helps Us Navigate Modern Life

Messages About Love & Relationships

Love Languages

Advertisement

More On This Topic

more Mindfulness
Advertisement
Advertisement