Red Rice Pesto: Gluten-Free and Vegan
This red rice pasta is not only full of veggies but it's also gluten-free and vegan!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked red rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 lb. asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2/3 cup toasted pine nuts, plus more for serving
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dairy-free or Greek plain yogurt
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 chives, finely chopped
- Cook red rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli and asparagus. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a large pot. Add broccoli and asparagus in batches, cover and cook for 1 minute or until bright green and crunchy. Drain broccoli and asparagus in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Repeat with remaining broccoli and asparagus. Set aside.
- To make the pesto: combine cooked broccoli, asparagus, garlic, pine nuts, sea salt, pepper and lemon juice in a food processor. Drizzle in olive oil and yogurt; pulse until smooth.
- Toss cooked red rice with the pesto mixture. Thin with warm water for desired consistency.
- Serve topped with additional pine nuts, diced yellow bell pepper and chives.
Ready to learn how to fight inflammation and address autoimmune disease through the power of food? Join our 5-Day Inflammation Video Summit with mindbodygreen’s top doctors.