A bean burger is a fantastic option when you're trying to reduce your meat intake but still have those persistent burger cravings. In this fiber-rich chickpea burger recipe, I include turmeric for its amazing anti-inflammatory properties, honey to balance some of turmeric's somewhat bitter flavor, and panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs) for a bit of crunchiness. In addition to lettuce, you can top with onions, tomatoes, hot sauce, or other additional spices (I like to sprinkle just a bit more turmeric on top for an extra health kick). Since the patties are a bit more crumbly, you can also use pita breads instead of burgers buns. These burgers have a unique flavor, are hearty and affordable, and can serve as a healthier end-of-the-week "happy hour" option.
Ingredients for chickpea patties (8 medium patties):
- 2 cups dry chickpeas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 - 5 garlic, minced
- 2 cups panko
- 2 tablespoons honey (if possible, consider local honey).
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Whole wheat burger buns
- 1 head lettuce
- Soak chickpeas overnight. Cook chickpeas for 1 and 1/2 hours, drain water, mash chickpeas well with fork (it's okay to have some chickpeas that aren't completely mashed), set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic for 4 - 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, panko, and spices to mashed chickpea mixture. Mix everything together well.
- Form patties with the mixture using a medium to large handful, depending on how small or large you want your patties. Note: These are crumbly, so you have to pat these really firmly, and handle with care as you put them on the frying pan.
- Fry patties on each side on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until golden brown and fairly firm.
- Serve with fresh lettuce and enjoy!
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.