These Natural, Protein-Rich Burgers Make Your Cat Actually Love You
These super-duper, high-protein, tasty veggie burgers will become your cat's favorite (and could be yours, too). Caution: Make some for the dog as well and he'll be happy, too!
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3 cups water or broth, divided
- ½ cup organic textured soy protein (TSP)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, crumbled
- 2 brown cremini mushrooms (higher protein) or white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, preferably black Himalayan
- 2 tablespoons Vegecat (or 5 days' worth or your favorite pet supplement)
- In a medium saucepan, cook the lentils in 2 cups of the water or broth for 40 minutes or until done. Meanwhile, heat 1 cup of water or broth. Stir in the TSP and ground flaxseeds. Set aside to reconstitute. When the lentils are tender, puree them in a blender or food processor along with the bread, mushrooms, yeast, seeds, salt, and Vegecat. Add water if needed. Pour the puree into a bowl and stir in the soaked TSP and flaxseeds with a fork.
- Chill a bit to make it stiffer. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Form 10 patties and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 20 minutes on each side.
- When cool, serve 1 burger per cat per meal (if 2 meals a day), perhaps topped with a condiment (see book pages 117, 124 to 125). Enjoy yours in the usual people way, perhaps pan grilled, on a toasted whole wheat English muffin, with the works. Extras? Trim the parchment paper around each burger and stack with paper between them in a freezer container.
Yield: 1,477 calories in 10 burgers, 5 days of cat meals at 2 a day (27 percent protein, 20 percent fat)
Based on excerpts from Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Catsby Dr. Richard H Pitcairn, with the permission of Rodale Press. Copyright © 2005.
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.