Chocolate-Covered, Almond-Butter-Filled Sandwich Cookies (Oh, And They're Gluten-Free!)
Sometimes you need the melted chocolate, gooey filling, and crunchy bite of a melt-in-your-mouth cookie. Have we got a recipe for you. These knockout double-deckers will please anyone with a sweet tooth, but they'll wow your gluten-free friends (look, no flour!). Fire up the stove! It's time to melt some chocolate.
Chocolate-Dipped, Coconut-Dusted Almond Sandwich Cookies
- 1 cup chunky almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate disks (61 percent cacao is best.)
Toppings: matcha powder, dried blueberries, toasted coconut, chopped nuts, toasted sesame seeds, or anything you can dream up!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange 2 baking sheets (degreased!) and set aside.
- Mix cookie ingredients together in a KitchenAid.
- Scoop a 1-tablespoon lump of dough and roll into a ball, press down, and space them out on sheet quite a bit, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, let cool, and with a spatula, transfer to a cooling rack.
- When cookies are completely cool, dollop 1 teaspoon of almond butter onto half of the cookies and top with the remaining cookies to form sandwiches.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Place a wide skillet with about 1 inch of water on a burner.
- Place your chopped chocolate in a heatproof stainless-steel bowl and set the bowl directly in the water. Bring the water to a simmer, then turn off the flame and let the chocolate sit until it is melted.
- Dip half the cookie in the melted chocolate, and then sprinkle on or dip into the toppings of your choice. Eat it while it's hot or place on wax paper to harden.
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.