A Probiotic-Rich Vegan Breakfast: Coconut Kefir
Want an easy, dairy-free coconut yogurt? Give this recipe a try — it's simple, delicious, and makes a great probiotic-packed breakfast.
Boost your inner ecosystem with the beneficial bacteria in this delicious yogurt to keep your immune system strong.
You'll need a sterilized glass bowl or large jar, a blender, a strainer, a square of muslin (cheesecloth), an elastic band, and a wooden spoon. Avoid using metal, and store in a glass jar.
Coconut Kefir Yogurt
- 3 young coconuts, at room temperature
- 2 dairy-free probiotic capsules or 1 tablespoon dairy-free probiotic powder
- liquid stevia or stevia powder, to taste
- fresh berries, to serve (optional)
1. Open the coconuts and strain the coconut water into a bowl. Set aside.
2. Scrape out the coconut flesh, trying not to include any husk, and place in a blender. Add the coconut water and blend until creamy — it should have the consistency of yogurt.
3. Pour the mixture into a glass bowl and add the contents of the probiotic capsules or the probiotic powder.
4. Cover the bowl with muslin (cheesecloth), securing it with the elastic band, and put in a cool, dry, dark place for 1 to 2 days. When ready, it should taste fairly sharp without a hint of sweetness.
5. Add stevia to taste, then refrigerate and enjoy over the next 7 days. Serve with fresh berries, if using.
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.