Step Up Your Salad Game With This Farro + Fig Salad
We're always on the search for main-meal-worthy salads. We're sharing some recipes from (fast and healthy London-based restaurant chain) Leon's new cookbook, Leon Happy Salads, that definitely fit the bill.
This salad celebrates fresh figs in the prettiest way possible.
Get Figgy With It Salad
- 150 grams (5½ ounces) farro
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large head of radicchio
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- a pinch of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 125 grams (4½ ounces) mixed salad leaves
- 4 figs, quartered
- seeds of ½ a pomegranate
- 100 grams (3½ ounces) blue cheese, crumbled
- a handful of chervil, to garnish (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Rinse the farro and place it in a pan with about 500 mL (18 fluid ounces) of water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the farro is cooked but still chewy. Drain well, season, and stir through 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
2. Cut the radicchio into thin wedges. While you're doing this, start to heat up the griddle pan. In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the vinegar, garlic, sugar, and marjoram.
3. When the griddle is hot, start to grill the radicchio wedges. This can be done in batches — the aim is for the radicchio to wilt and brown slightly. As it comes off the griddle, place it straight into the dressing and toss it around, seasoning as you go.
4. To assemble the salad, arrange the wilted radicchio on a serving plate with the salad leaves. Sprinkle with the farro and pour over any dressing left over from the radicchio. Finally, top the salad with the figs, pomegranate seeds, and crumbled blue cheese and with the chervil, if liked.
Tip: To remove the seeds from a pomegranate, place one-half cut-side down in the palm of one hand (over a bowl). With the other hand, whack the pomegranate with a rolling pin or heavy object. Seeds should fall out without too much pith.
Excerpted from Leon Happy Salads.
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.