A Vegetable-Packed Kohlrabi Slaw That's The Perfect Side Dish For Your BBQ
Raw summer market vegetables topped with a light, creamy (dairy-free) dressing make for the perfect addition to any BBQ menu.
The abundance of colorful and crunchy vegetables make this my favorite new side salad. Each ingredient has its own healthful value, and together it's an antioxidant bonanza!
Vegan Raw Slaw
Serves 12, as a side (about 6 cups)
- 1 large bulb purple kohlrabi, cleaned (about 2 cups chopped),
- 1½ cups zucchini, roughly chopped (about 2 small)
- 1½ cups multicolored carrots, roughly chopped (about 2 small)
- 1 cup pole beans, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ cup fresh English peas, shelled
- 2 teaspoons spring garlic or fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic chives or scallions, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- ¾ cups mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise (I like Just Mayo)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons pure cane sugar
1. Place the kohlrabi, zucchini, and carrots into the bowl of a food processor. Chop the vegetables, pulsing until they are roughly all in ¼-inch pieces.
2. Place chopped vegetables in a large bowl. Add the pole beans, peas, garlic, and garlic chives.
3. In a medium-size bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients until smooth. Pour over the chopped vegetables and combine well with a rubber spatula.
4. Store the salad in a clean, tight-sealing glass container. This will stay fresh for over a week.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.