A Vegan Beet + Rhubarb Bisque To Support Your Liver
A creamy spring soup that's equal parts earthy, sweet, and tart, with a hint of heat from the horseradish.
This vegan soup uses the season’s best produce for a delicious lunch or light supper. The vibrant color really reflects the beginning of a new and verdant season! Serve with a light side salad and some sourdough crostini for a complete meal!
Beet + Rhubarb Bisque with Horseradish Cashew Cream
- 2 tablespoon coconut or safflower oil
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 large beets, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 ribs rhubarb, roughly chopped
- ½ cup cooking wine
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion until it is translucent. Add the garlic, beets, and rhubarb, and sauté until lightly browned. Add the white wine and cook for a few minutes.
2. Add the veg stock, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. When the beets are tender, puree the mixture until smooth in a blender or using a stick blender.
4. Serve immediately. Top with Horseradish Crema (recipe below).
Horseradish Cashew Crema
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 2 hours and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated horseradish
Puree cashews, agave, lemon juice, and salt in a blender until smooth. Fold in the grated horseradish.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.