A Super-Simple Orange-Ginger Salmon Recipe
I know this picture may look intimidating to the amateur chef, but it’s actually one of my more Cooking for Dummies-level recipes. My mother-in-law loves my salmon and says it melts like butter when you bite into it. In fact, she insists I invite her over every time I make it.
Ingredients for Salmon Marinade
- 3 to 4 (6- to 8-oz.) salmon fillets
- juice of 2 oranges or ½ cup orange juice (but fresh is always best in my book)
- 2 oz. fresh sliced ginger or 1½ tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- avocado oil spray or olive oil spray
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 10 oz. clamshell of spring mix salad
- 2 oranges, sliced
1. Add all ingredients in a large plastic bag and marinate 2 hours in refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a large baking dish, spray avocado oil, place salmon skin-down, and pour remaining marinade from bag.
3. Bake salmon for 20 to 25 minutes. The marinade will caramelize to a brown glaze from the sugars of the syrup and orange juice. Brush the glaze over the top of the salmon for a richer flavor.
If you’ve never cooked quinoa, it’s just like cooking rice: 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water. So, for 1 cup quinoa, add 2 cups water. In a small saucepan, bring to a boil and then simmer for 12 minutes.
Bring it up a notch and fry your quinoa in avocado oil for a crispy, nuttier flavor. Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil per ½ cup cooked quinoa in a pan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Toss in your salad, cut up some sliced oranges, and drizzle the leftover glaze from your salmon pan.
Recipe was excerpted with permission from My Healthy Dish: More Than 85 Fresh & Easy Recipes for the Whole Family by My Nguyen. Photos by Adit Gupta V/A Photography.
And do you want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.