A Super-Simple Orange-Ginger Salmon Recipe
I know this picture may look intimidating to the amateur chef, but it’s actually one of my more Cooking for Dummies-level recipes. My mother-in-law loves my salmon and says it melts like butter when you bite into it. In fact, she insists I invite her over every time I make it.
Ingredients for Salmon Marinade
- 3 to 4 (6- to 8-oz.) salmon fillets
- juice of 2 oranges or ½ cup orange juice (but fresh is always best in my book)
- 2 oz. fresh sliced ginger or 1½ tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- avocado oil spray or olive oil spray
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 10 oz. clamshell of spring mix salad
- 2 oranges, sliced
1. Add all ingredients in a large plastic bag and marinate 2 hours in refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a large baking dish, spray avocado oil, place salmon skin-down, and pour remaining marinade from bag.
3. Bake salmon for 20 to 25 minutes. The marinade will caramelize to a brown glaze from the sugars of the syrup and orange juice. Brush the glaze over the top of the salmon for a richer flavor.
If you’ve never cooked quinoa, it’s just like cooking rice: 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water. So, for 1 cup quinoa, add 2 cups water. In a small saucepan, bring to a boil and then simmer for 12 minutes.
Bring it up a notch and fry your quinoa in avocado oil for a crispy, nuttier flavor. Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil per ½ cup cooked quinoa in a pan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Toss in your salad, cut up some sliced oranges, and drizzle the leftover glaze from your salmon pan.
Recipe was excerpted with permission from My Healthy Dish: More Than 85 Fresh & Easy Recipes for the Whole Family by My Nguyen. Photos by Adit Gupta V/A Photography.
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.