How To Design Your Own Skin-Beautifying Smoothie
Smoothies make ideal on-the-go meals as well as nutrient-packed snacks, since they are quick to prepare, easy to digest, and—as long as you follow a few general guidelines—loaded with nutritional support for your skin and overall beauty.
Here are a few essential rules to remember while crafting your own beautifying blend:
- For a smoothie that satisfies hunger, stabilizes blood sugar and offers easily metabolized energy, start with healthy fats. Add avocado, raw nuts, seeds, or coconut—or even milk and butters made from them.
- For skin nutrition, reach for an abundance of fresh, whole produce, generally adding a greater quantity of veggies and a smaller quantity of fruit. Seasonal is preferred; organic is best.
- Think protein, especially if your smoothie stands in for a meal. Add a high-quality, plant-based protein powder or another protein source that pairs well with the rest of your smoothie ingredients, like hemp seeds, chia seeds, or nut butter. If you already have one these ingredients in as your fat source, you’re getting double the benefits.
- Personalize your blend with beauty superfoods- from organic spices and spirulina to mushroom powders and fresh herbs.
Below is a recipe for my go-to beautifying smoothie that will help support healthy, radiant skin. This smoothie is packed with beauty superfoods in four shades of green!
Shades of Green Smoothie
Ingredients (makes 1 to 2 servings):
- ¾ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ¾ cups water
- 1 to 2 scoops plant-based protein powder
- ½ teaspoon spirulina powder (heaping)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- ½ to 1 banana (depending on desired sweetness)
- ¼ avocado
- Small handful of fresh mint leaves
Combine all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and process until smooth, adding more water to thin it out if needed. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.