Purple Cauliflower Hummus That's (Almost) Too Pretty To Eat
This recipe uses those vibrant heads of purple florets to give this vegetable-based dip a visual boost. If you can't find the purple kind, opt for regular.
Purple Cauliflower Hummus
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 whole head garlic
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 purple cauliflower (about 1¼ pounds), cut into florets
- Fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Peel off most of the papery outer layer from the head of garlic, but leave the head intact. Cut across the very top of the head to expose the cloves. Place the garlic on a sheet of foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Crumple the edges of the foil around the garlic to make a packet for roasting, and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the cauliflower, ½ teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and toss until the cauliflower is well coated. Spread the cauliflower on the lined baking sheet without overcrowding, and nestle the garlic packet next to the cauliflower. Roast the vegetables on the middle rack for about 40 minutes—the garlic may take about 10 minutes longer than the cauliflower to roast, so check its doneness (it should be soft and spreadable) when you take the cauliflower out of the oven.
4. Transfer the roasted cauliflower to a food processor. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon juice, and pepper to taste. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of its skins into the processor, then pulse until completely smooth and spreadable, 3 to 4 minutes. (If it is still chunky after a few minutes of blending, try adding a tablespoon or two of water.)
5. Serve with plenty of extra lemon wedges (the lemon juice will turn the purple mixture hot pink), salt, and pepper.
Reprinted from Food with Friends by Leela Cyd. Copyright © 2016 by Leela Cyd. Photographs by Leela Cyd. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.