Gluten-Free + Vegan Double-Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
Add double the crunch to these double-chocolate cookies with pistachio nuts! One of the healthiest nuts out there, pistachios pack protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals into a small delicious morsel.
These gluten-free, dairy-free vegan cookies are doubly healthy by using coconut oil and mineral-rich coconut sugar.
With this recipe, you can please both health nuts and those with a sweet tooth, so bust out a batch of Double-Chocolate Pistachio Cookies for your next bash or event.
Double-Chocolate Pistachio Cookies (Gluten-Free and Vegan)
Makes 20 cookies
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ⅔ cup plus 3 tablespoons coconut oil (soft)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour blend (high starch)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (pink Himalayan is best)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks (or chocolate chips)
- ½ cup pistachios (raw/unsalted)
1. In a small bowl, mix ground flax seeds with water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. With an electric mixer (handheld or upright), whip coconut sugar and coconut oil for 4 minutes. Add in flax-seed mixture (flax eggs) and vanilla and mix for 2 minutes.
3. Add gluten-free flour blend, sea salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa powder, and mix to combine.
4. Stir in the chocolate chunks and pistachios by hand.
5. Chill dough for 15 minutes (no longer or dough will become too hard).
6. Form dough into balls about the size of a quarter, spray cookie sheet with nonstick cookie spray, place cookies on sheet, and flatten with you palm.
7. Bake for 7 to 8 minute until cookies are browning just slightly; don’t bake too long! Cookies will bake more once out of the oven.
Note: For a high-starch gluten-free flour blend, there are many brands that make similar mixes. They shouldn't contain bean or nut flours, usually just rice flour and starches. They give the recipe a light, airy feeling.