Perfect Paleo Dinner: Sweet Potato-Mushroom Pancakes With Spicy Skillet Spinach
Quick, easy, and full of flavor, this Paleo-friendly recipe comes from the Paleo guru himself, Loren Cordain. A few simple and healthy ingredients come together to make these satisfying sweet potato pancakes — ideal for a breakfast-for-dinner scenario.
Sweet Potato-Mushroom Pancakes with Spicy Skillet Spinach
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and finely shredded
- 1 cup thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon Smoky Seasoning (recipe below)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 x 5- to 6-ounce package fresh baby spinach
- Lemon wedges
1. For batter, in a medium bowl stir together eggs, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, scallions, almond flour, Smoky Seasoning, and 1 of the minced garlic cloves. Heat a griddle or an extra-large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Brush the surface with some of the olive oil. For each pancake, pour ¼ cup of the batter onto the hot griddle. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the bottoms are golden.
3. Turn pancakes; cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until second sides are golden. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more oil as necessary.
4. In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 minced garlic cloves and the crushed red pepper. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add the spinach; cook 2 minutes or just until spinach wilts, stirring occasionally.
Serve pancakes with spinach and lemon wedges.
Tip: Keep the cooked pancakes warm on a paper towel–lined rimmed baking sheet in a 200°F oven while you finish cooking the pancakes and sauté the spinach.
- ¼ cup smoked paprika
- 4 teaspoons dried orange peel
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
In a small bowl combine smoked paprika, orange peel, garlic powder, onion powder, cloves, and dried basil. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 6 months. Stir or shake before using. Makes about ½ cup.
Excerpted from my cookbook, Real Paleo Fast & Easy, by Loren Cordain. Copyright © 2015 by Loren Cordain and The Paleo Diet, LLC. Reprinted by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
And do you want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.