A Nourishing Bowl With Turmeric From NYC's Dimes Restaurant
Dimes restaurant (and Dimes Deli) in New York City is all about serving fresh, whole food dishes without being preachy about it. Today we have a bowl recipe from Dimes co-founder Alissa Wagner. Along with Sabrina DeSousa, the stylish pair have created a little haven on the Lower East Side. The space (and the food served there) makes you feel happy and nourished — much like the below recipe likely will!
Eating this super-balanced bowl is a great way to kick off a healthy new year. Packed with vitamins A- and C- and potassium- and protein-packed hummus and the medicinal properties of turmeric, it’s basically a one-stop shop for your bod.
Black Lentil Bowl With Turmeric-Ginger Hummus
- 1 cup black lentils
- 4 cups salted water
- 1 cups sweet potato, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 bunch broccolini, stems intact, ends trimmed ¼ inch
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup hummus
- 4 tablespoons chopped pistachio
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Cook the lentils: Bring lentils and water to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes until tender, adding water as needed to make sure the lentils are covered.
3. Toss the sweet potatoes in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Lay in a single layer on a sheet pan and roast until just soft and golden brown.
4. Toss the broccolini in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Lay in a single layer on a sheet pan and roast until tender.
5. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl. Add turmeric and ginger, and whisk until thoroughly combined. Add hummus, and stir until turmeric-ginger oil is completely incorporated.
6. To serve, divide lentils, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and fennel between four bowls. Garnish with chopped pistachios and serve with hummus on the side.
Photo courtesy of the author
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.