Yogi Kathryn Budig's Go-To Energy Bar Recipe (With Chocolate Chips!)
Kathryn Budig is an internationally celebrated yoga teacher who has spent the last decade teaching students to aim true on and off the mat through workshops all over the world. We’re excited to share her wisdom here, and if you want even more of her Aim True philosophies, be sure to check out her newest mindbodygreen course, Aim True: A 21-Day Journey to Find Your Purpose, Ignite Your Passion and Love Yourself.
My doctor wants me to eat protein at every meal, but I struggle to find ways of incorporating it without feeling heavy. I’m not a fan of store-bought protein bars because their consistency is too powdery and thick.
I decided to blend my childhood desires with my protein needs to make a chewy chocolate chip bar full of protein, fiber, energy, and tasty treats.
Treat Yo’self Protein Bars
Makes 12 Bars
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3⁄4 cup apple butter
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flour
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup slivered almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and place a silicone liner on a baking sheet. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, apple butter, maple syrup, and almond extract.
2. Slowly whisk in the coconut flour, protein powder, flaxseeds, salt, and cinnamon. Fold in the coconut flakes, chocolate chips, chia seeds, and almonds.
3. Grab about a golf-ball-size piece of dough and roll it into a narrow log shape about 3 inches long. Pat the log into a rectangular shape.
4. Arrange the bars, evenly spaced, on the prepared sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
From Aim True by Kathryn Budig. Copyright © 2016 by Kathryn Budig. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.