This gluten-free gingerbread spice cake is full of good-for-you ingredients (like coconut oil, flaxseeds, and butternut squash puree). It's the perfect festive snack or dessert, and one you'll want to have around for guests and family.
You can use either butternut squash or pumpkin puree to give the cake a bit of a vegetable boost.
Gingerbread Spice Cake With Butternut Squash
- ¼ cup melted extra-virgin coconut oil plus more for wiping pan
- 2 cups biodynamic whole wheat flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 organic, pasture-raised egg
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen butternut squash puree, thawed (or 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree)
- ½ cup organic coconut milk
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with extra-virgin coconut oil. In a large bowl, mix the flour, flaxseeds, baking soda, fresh ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt; set aside.
2. In a high-speed blender, add the sugar, coconut oil, and egg; process until smooth and creamy. Add the butternut squash puree, coconut milk, molasses, and vanilla extract, and process again until ingredients are well-blended.
3. Add wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
4. Bake on the middle rack in the center of the oven until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the pan before turning the cake out onto a rack to cool completely.
Find more healthy holiday recipes at cleancuisineandmore.com.
And do you want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.