The Make-Ahead Breakfast To Keep You Going All Morning
I suspect the baked oatmeal recipe in my last book made it into more kitchens than any other recipe I’ve ever written. It’s still a regular here at home, in various guises, and this is a version worth celebrating.
Made with crimson-fleshed Dapple Dandy pluots, it rides the line beautifully between the sweetness of the summer fruit and the tanginess of the kefir or buttermilk. Other stone fruit can be substituted.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups | 7 oz | 200 g rolled oats
- ½ cup | 2 oz | 60 g whole Marcona almonds
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- Scant ½ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- ⅓ cup | 2 oz | 60 g maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 cup | 240 ml kefir or buttermilk
- 1 cup | 240 ml water
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound | 455 g ripe pluots, quartered and pitted
- A bit of cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F | 190°C with a rack in the top third of the oven. Generously butter the inside of an 8-inch| 20 cm square baking dish (or equivalent), then sprinkle with lemon zest.
2. In a bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, kefir, water, egg, half the butter, and the vanilla.
3. Arrange the pluots in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover the fruit with the oat mixture. Slowly drizzle the kefir mixture over the oats. Gently give the baking dish a couple of raps on the countertop to make sure the liquid moves through the oats.
4. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Drizzle the remaining melted butter on the top and serve. Finish with a bit more maple syrup if you want it a bit sweeter, and a thread of cream to bring it all together.
Reprinted with permission from Near & Far by Heidi Swanson, copyright © 2015. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
And do you want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.