Healthy Snack: Raw Mexican Hot Chocolate Energy Bites
These energy bites are one of my favorite on-the-go treats — they're packed with protein, fiber, good fat and antioxidants. They also have mega metabolism boosting and blood sugar stabilizing properties from the cayenne and cinnamon.
They're paleo, raw, gluten-free and can be made vegan — and (oh yeah!) they taste amazing!
Smooth and sweet with a kick of spice, they're equally perfect as a:
- Dessert (I often bring them to dinner parties, and even my non health-conscious friends devour them).
- Afternoon pick me up.
- Awesome travel snack (they're TSA friendly and keep perfectly at room temperature).
Mexican Hot Chocolate Energy Bites
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon ghee or coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- Generous pinch each of cayenne, black pepper and paprika
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
1. Blend walnuts, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds until they begin to form a nut butter paste, then add in other ingredients and process until well combined.
2. Press into balls in the palm of your hand, then roll to finish. Top with additional cinnamon and cayenne if desired. They will keep for 4-5 days at room temperature.
Photo courtesy of the author
And do you want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.