Recipe for Gluten-Free Chocolate Almond Pound Cake
Adapted from the recipe for Pound Cake with Cocoa in Chocolat by Stephan Lagorce.
Makes 1 large or 2 small loaves
*1/2 cup organic unsalted butter
*1/2 cup olive oil
*5 eggs, preferably organic and free-range
*2 cups ground almond flour (or use organic all-purpose flour for a gluten-full version)
*3/4 cup organic cane sugar or sucanat
*1/4 cup pure maple syrup
*2 teaspoons baking powder
*1/2 cup organic cacao powder
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Melt the butter in a pan over low heat. Transfer to a small bowl and mix in the olive oil. Use a little of this to grease your baking pan(s).
3. Whisk eggs together with the sugar. Add the maple syrup and whisk again.
4. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and cacao powder. Add to the eggs/sugar/maple syrup and combine well with a wooden spoon. Add the melted butter/oil and mix well again.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s) and bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean/dry.
6. Remove from pan(s) and allow to cool on a baker's rack. Dust with organic powdered sugar before serving warm or at room temperature.