1. Combine the mashed beans with the flaxseeds, herbs and spices.
2. Using your hands, form the mixture into one big patty. (Add a teaspoon or so of water if it's having a hard time sticking together.)
3. Cook on a grill or skillet that’s been sprayed with coconut oil for about 5 minutes on each side.
How To Eat It:
1. The traditional burger + bun + condiment + serve route.
2. Tucked into tacos. With some guac, salsa, lettuce and cashew cheese, of course.
3. Chopped into quinoa. Plus some veggies and pesto.
4. Formed into “meatballs” (pre-cooking) and thrown into spaghetti with tomato sauce and fresh basil.
5. On a plate with some hummus, lettuce and tomato. Eaten with a knife as you would…grilled chicken?
6. Wrapped into a wrap. With some mustard, sprouts, tomatoes and carrots.
7. Cut up and placed on top of homemade toaster-oven english muffin pizza.
8. Rolled into a collard green, accompanied by tahini, peppers and cucumbers.
9. Stuffed into a sweet potato, with some kale or spinach and some tomato, avocado and pumpkin seeds joining the party.
10. Crumbled onto homemade nachos — on top of a bed of baked corn chips, guacamole, cashew cheese, a homemade sour cream and some salsa.
11. Diced into a salad. With your favorite dressing and veggies.
12. In a pressed panini — warmly squished between some lightly oiled healthy bread, arugula, pesto or balsamic vinegar and a cheese (dairy-free if you don’t eat dairy).
13. In a scramble — alongside eggs or tofu, veggies and of course — hot sauce.