If you’re looking to do a bit more than warm your belly, try my holiday cocktail version—Chai-tini! Careful, these little gems go down easy so watch that mistletoe and have a lovely holiday!
- 2-3 bags black tea
- 2 pods black cardamom
- 5-6 pods green cardamom
- 1 t fennel seeds
- 1 t caraway seeds
- 5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- thumb size ginger peeled and roughly cut
- almond milk *optional
- maple syrup *optional
Place the green cardamom, black cardamom, fennel and caraway seeds in a mortar and grind the ingredients with the pestle. Fill your kettle halfway with water adding the contents of the mortar along with the cloves, cinnamon stick and ginger. Bring to a boil. Remove from flame and add black tea bags. Let seep 5-8 minutes. Serve straight or my personal favor—with almond milk and maple syrup.
- 1/2 cup homemade chai tea
- one shaker capful vodka
- 1/2 shaker capful Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
- splash Baileys Irish Cream
- dollop homemade whip cream (see recipe below)
- ground cardamom and cinnamon for garnish
Place warm tea into shaker adding the vodka, ginger liqueur and baileys. Stir and pour into martini glass. Garnish with a dollop of whip cream splashed with ground cardamom and cinnamon or just use cardamom/cinnamon mix.
Homemade Whip Cream
- 1 half pint organic (if possible raw) cream
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- 2 T raw honey (look for local)
Place all ingredients into blender. Blend until whipped, roughly 20 seconds.
image via Jasper Johal