Southwestern-Style Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
It's the season, once again, for sweet potatoes, and we never tire of good ways to cook this delicious vegetable.
These stuffed sweet potatoes can be served for lunch or brunch or as a sweet side to dinnertime meals. Even finicky kids who don't like to eat their veggies will love this dish, as sweet potatoes are naturally sweet! So serve these up again and again in the months to come.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes With Black Beans
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 small (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed (or use black beans soaked overnight and cooked until soft)
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 10-12 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup (or more if you like) shredded cheese (I used cheddar but any firm cheese will do)
- 3 teaspoons of nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons yogurt (regular or Greek)
- sliced basil for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Pierce the potatoes all around with a fork (to allow the steam to escape while cooking) and bake for about 45 minutes until fork-tender.
2. Remove the potatoes from the oven and cut a slit on top of each one. Gently scoop out the flesh, leaving the skin intact.
3. In a separate bowl, mash and mix the hot potato with the cheese (butter too if you like) and the nutritional yeast. Season with salt and pepper, mix again and add gently add back into the skins.
For The Sautéed Beans
1. While the potatoes are baking, place a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the oil and heat. Add the onions and cook until soft (about 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the beans and sauté, stirring occasionally until the beans are warm
3. Add the tomatoes and sauté, stirring occasionally, for another minute or two. Season to taste and set aside. When ready to serve with the potatoes, re-warm if desired.
4. Top each potato with the sautéed beans and a tablespoon of yogurt. Garnish with basil.
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.