Lavender Honey Ice Cream
I don’t use the word “revelation” very often (or ever), but that’s what tasting this ice cream was for me. A revelation. So don’t wait a year before making this like I did. Do it now. Please.
Recipe for Lavender-Honey Ice Cream
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
Makes about 1 quart
*1/2 cup honey (use one that’s high quality and delicious; I used raw, local honey)
*1/4 cup dried or fresh lavender leaves (I used fresh, from my garden)
*1 1/2 cups whole milk (I used raw milk)
*1/4 cup sugar (I used organic sugar)
*pinch of sea salt
*1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I used raw cream)
*5 large egg yolks, preferably organic and free-range
1. In a small saucepan, heat the honey and 2 tablespoons of the lavender. When it’s warm, remove from heat and let steep for at least 1 hour.
2. Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Pour the cream into a large bowl and place a mesh strainer on top. Pour the lavender-infused honey into the cream through the strainer, pressing down on the lavender flowers to extract as much flavor as possible. Discard the lavender flowers and place the strainer back over the cream.
3. Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the whole mixture back into the saucepan.
4. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Stir in the remaining lavender flowers and stir until cool over an ice bath.
5. Chill overnight in the refrigerator. The next day, before churning, strain the mixture, again pressing the lavender flowers to extract their flavor. Discard the flowers and freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.